Gearing up for fall I was thinking it would be nice to add a long sleeve polo to my wardrobe. I have heard good things about the Kent Wang short sleeve polos, so wanted to check out the long sleeves in some fall colors (greens and browns ideally). After checking out the site, there turned out to be no browns but a stellar dark green option. The dark green Rugby Polo can be bought direct from Kent Wang, retailing for $85 USD.
Sizing & Fit:
I found the sizing to be pretty straight forward – the site indicates that their polos run slim so to size up from your typical size. When compared to other polos (ex. from Brooks Brothers and Bonobos), I found this recommendation to be accurate. I typically wear between a M and L in other brands, and fell between a L and XL on the Kent Wang size chart. The L green long sleeve was sold out so I opted for an XL (thinking I could try and shrink it a little if required). Overall here were my thoughts on the sizing – for reference, I am 5’9” and 175lbs, and wear 40R jackets:
- Body length was great – tucked in or untucked
- Sleeve length was perfect (note: I have longer arms so this may not be the case for everyone…but then again I also did size up two sizes)
- My main challenge with the fit was the shoulder area being slightly too wide. Again, the shirt is a bit big on me, so I think that if I was able to get my hands on L it would have been a perfect fit.
Material & Construction:
- The rugby polo is 100% pique cotton, incredibly soft and to my surprise quite a thick material. It would be a bit hot for summer, but a great option for the rest of the year (even better layered under a sport coat or shawl cardigan in winter)
- The collar and cuffs follow more of a dress shirt design rather than that of a traditional polo (i.e. no ribbed collar), which in my opinion elevates the style. The spread collar design works well both on its own or under a jacket, allowing great versatility. Gauntlet buttons, when undone, allow the sleeves to be easily rolled for a more casual look
- The mother of pearl buttons add an element of quality and luxury that I have not found in polos in the past. I have owned a lot of polos with cheap, thin buttons, so this was one of my favorite features of the Kent Wang version
- Both the rugby polo and short sleeve polo come in a variety of staple and seasonal colors
I would highly recommend the Kent Wang Rugby Polo if you are in the market for a long sleeve polo. As mentioned previously, they are not too heavy, and easy to layer in cooler weather. The collar is soft, yet sturdy which helps maintain its shape alone or under a jacket, and the mother of pearl buttons finish off this quality polo. I am thrilled to have one of these in my closet as we start to transition into cooler weather this fall.
Will you be adding a long sleeve polo this fall?
*Disclosure: Kent Wang was kind enough to send this polo in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.